The Dominate Test Prep Podcast
22. A Peek Behind the MBA Curtain, with Sam Klein
April 28, 2020
Brett Ethridge / Dominate Test Prep
It has been said that while it is wise to learn from experience, it is wiser to learn from the experiences of others. If you want to get a feel for what business school is really like before embarking on the journey yourself, why not pick the brain of someone who has gone before you?
That's exactly what we did in this episode of The Dominate Test Prep Podcast. We caught up with Sam Klein, a current second-year MBA candidate at the Duke Fuqua School of Business, and asked him everything from what he thinks helped him stand out during the admissions process to what has been the most impactful part of his business education, and everything in between. Specifically, we cover:
- Why this aerospace engineer decided to switch careers and go back to business school
- Why he chose the GMAT over the GRE
- How to answer the "Why business school?" question on your application
- How the expected ROI factored into his decision to pursue an MBA
- What he thinks sets Duke Fuqua apart from other top business schools
- Why the "soft skills" you learn in business school are perhaps even more important than what takes place in the classroom
- What makes a full-time 2-year MBA advantageous over other types of part-time or online MBA programs
- The importance of networking -- and how to do it well
- Tips on preparing for the GMAT
- What he wishes he had known before showing up for Day 1 of classes, and how you can make sure you don't start from behind like he did
- How his idea of what he thought he wanted to do with his MBA evolved over the course of his two years
- And more!
Peek behind the MBA curtain and learn from firsthand from Sam what getting an MBA from a top-ranked business school is actually like. Hopefully it helps you decide whether an MBA is right for you and provides you with some practical tips for getting accepted and maximizing your time on campus. Enjoy!
RESOURCES AND CONTACT INFO
- Learn more about the Duke Fuqua School of Business
- Listen to the Duke Basketball Report Podcast, co-hosted by Sam Klein
Contact Dominate Test Prep for comprehensive online courses to help you prepare for the GMAT or GRE.
A DOSE OF MOTIVATION
"Don't wait until after the symphony to tune your violin." -- Anonymous