Let’s talk about money. Specifically, let’s talk about how you’re going to pay for your college / graduate education. If you’ve decided to go back to school, presumably you’ve determined that the benefits of higher education more than justify the costs. Yet, those costs still need to be paid. But what’s the best way to fund your education expenses? And can you do so without burning through all of your savings or jeopardizing your retirement? To help answer these crucial questions, we’ve invited Peter Lampert, founder of Afford College and author of Pay for College Without Blowing Up Retirement, to share key strategies and insights. In our wide-ranging conversation, Peter shares:
- The Pros and Cons of using student loans to pay for your education
- The Pros and Cons of using savings to pay for your education
- A “better way” to fund your education while not paying full sticker price
- The importance of “fit” in choosing the right school / program for you, and the three types of fit that you need to consider
- Where a school’s price should fit into your decision-making of where to attend
- Why going to the highest-ranked program doesn’t always lead to the best long-term success
- What schools are looking for in applicants that they’re willing to “buy” with free aid and scholarships
- The sources of financial aid available to you, and where you should be looking for them
- The importance of GPA and standardized test scores in securing free funding
- The fallacy of “reach schools” and “safe schools”
- And more!
There’s no doubt that money plays a role in the decision-making of students and parents. After listening to this episode, you’ll have more clarity around just how much of a role it should play, if at all. As Peter says, you’re looking for the Right School, at the Right Price, with your Retirement Preserved. He’ll show you how.
RESOURCES / LINKS
- Get a copy of Peter’s book, Pay for College Without Blowing Up Retirement. Peter has generously agreed to give away a free copy to the first 10 people who e-mail email@example.com. Reference this podcast in your e-mail. Recipients must have a U.S. mailing address.
- Connect with Peter Lampert at Afford.College.
- Boost your standardized test scores with Dominate Test Prep's industry-leading prep courses.
If you enjoyed this episode, we encourage you to check out these other relevant episodes of The Dominate Test Prep Podcast:
- Episode 44: Tangential Benefits of a High Test Score
- Episode 34: How to Determine Where to Apply, with Linda Abraham
- Episode 28: The Value of an MBA, with Tim Munyon
A DOSE OF MOTIVATION
“Don’t tell me where your priorities are. Show me where you spend your money and I’ll tell you what they are.” — James W. Frick