You have a decision to make when choosing which standardized test to take when applying to college. Should you take the SAT or the ACT? To help you make the most informed decision possible, we've invited Amy Seeley, founder of Seeley Test Pros, to discuss the key differences between the two exams and to overall help you choose the one that's best for you.
In this episode you'll hear us discuss:
- Whether the school(s) you're applying to has any bearing on whether you should take the SAT or ACT;
- An easy way to get an initial idea as to which test you're likely to score higher on;
- The biggest similarity between the two exams and the foundational concept that each tests heavily (start shoring up your knowledge base now!);
- Subtle but important differences between the reading passages on the SAT vs. the ACT, and who is likely to do better on which;
- How the exams emphasize the math disciplines differently, and what it means for you depending on your relative quantitative strengths and weaknesses;
- Why the inclusion of a dedicated "Science" section on the ACT shouldn't solely influence your decision one way or the other;
- A timeline for when to start start studying and when to take your test of choice;
- Whether or not it makes sense to switch exams if you've already started studying for one but are struggling to get the score you need/want;
- General prep tips;
- How to handle testing anxiety;
- And more!
If you're a freshman or sophomore in high school and you're still unsure about whether to take the SAT or ACT, this episode will give you the clarity you need. But even if you've already started down the path of preparing for one of the exams in earnest, some of the mindsets and test-taking strategies that Amy discusses should help you as well. Enjoy!
RESOURCES / LINKS
Free resources from Seeley Test Pros to learn more about and prepare for the SAT and ACT
- Detailed breakdown of key differences between the SAT vs. ACT 2021 including content tested, question types, scoring, length, etc.
Essential SAT Math Strategies - On-demand video course + practice problems from Dominate Test Prep
- Contact Amy: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact Brett: email@example.com
If you enjoyed this episode, we know you'll benefit from these other relevant episodes of The Dominate Test Prep Podcast:
- Episode 40 - Proven Principles of Perfect Practice
- Episode 38 - 3 Ways to Worry Less for Better Test-Day Performance
- Episode 2 - 5 Proven Study Habits for a Higher Score on Test Day
We also encourage you to check out Episode 82 of the "Tests and the rest" podcast where Amy interviewed Brett about "The Inner Game of Testing."
A DOSE OF MOTIVATION
“It doesn’t matter which side of the fence you get off on sometimes. What matters most is getting off. You cannot make progress without making decision.” — Jim Rohn