The American Bar Association (ABA) made a major ruling earlier this month allowing law schools to accept the GRE in lieu of the LSAT for admissions decisions. While this opens the door to a larger potential applicant pool, there are a lot of factors you need to consider when determining whether to take the LSAT or GRE when applying to law school.
To dissect this major announcement by the ABA and help you make the best decision possible for which standardized test to take, we're joined in this episode by Dave Hall, expert LSAT instructor and law school admissions guru, as we discuss:
- Why the ABA's decision even matters given that some law schools have already been accepting the GRE for a number of years;
- Changes taking place within the law school admissions landscape and the motivation behind this move by the ABA;
- What law school admissions officers are really looking for in an applicant;
- Whether the GRE is as predictive of law school success as the LSAT — and if it even matters;
- The format of the LSAT exam and the core competencies it tests;
- The format of the GRE exam and the core competencies it tests;
- Key differences between the two tests, and which type of law school applicant is perfectly suited to take the GRE instead of the LSAT;
- Why there's still a bias toward the LSAT and what it means for applicants looking to earn scholarships to law school (and other practical reasons some applicants should take the LSAT instead of the GRE);
- The mindset you should take into preparing for whichever exam you choose (hint: law school is hard);
- And more!
Before beginning to prepare in earnest for either the LSAT or GRE, listen to the perspective Dave brings to this important decision. What he shares may confirm what you're already thinking or prompt you to switch gears and go another direction. Either way, you'll come away from this episode with clarity about your key decision points so that you can make the best choice for you between the LSAT vs. GRE for law school.
RESOURCES / LINKS
- Article: "ABA Gives Law Schools Go-Ahead to Use GRE"
- Free LSAT Practice Tests
- Free GRE Practice Tests
- Register for Dominate Test Prep's comprehensive GRE Prep Course, taught by Brett Ethridge
- Register for Dominate Test Prep's comprehensive LSAT Prep Course, taught by Dave Hall
- Contact Us
If you enjoyed this episode, we encourage you to check out these other similar episodes of The Dominate Test Prep Podcast:
- Episode 30: 5 Things I Wish I Had Known Before Starting Law School, with Dave Hall
- Episode 44:
Connect with Us
Questions? Comments? Email us at email@example.com.